Monday, October 05, 2009

Griffon Tip: MVC Groups

Recently I've been doing some refactoring of PSICAT to make better use of Griffon's MVC Groups.  I like MVC Groups because they provide self-contained building blocks that you can re-use throughout your application.  Below are a few tips that might be useful to others:

Creating MVC Groups
MVC Groups are created with the 'griffon create-mvc ' command.  This creates the appropriate files in the griffon-app directory structure and registers the MVC Group in Application.groovy.

When you want to use the new MVC group in your application, you have two ways to instantiate it: createMVCGroup and buildMVCGroup.  Both methods instantiate the MVC group but differ in the ordering of parameters passed to them and in what they return:
  1. List[model, view, controller] createMVCGroup(type, id, paramMap)
  2. Map['model': model, 'view':view, 'controller':controller, ...] buildMVCGroup(paramMap, type, id)
So if I had created an MVC group: 'griffon create-mvc Diagram', I could instantiate it in my application with either:
def list = createMVCGroup('Diagram', 'diagram1', [:])
or
def map = buildMVCGroup([:], 'Diagram', 'diagram1')


I was initially a bit confused as to why the parameters map was moved to the first argument for buildMVCGroup but then I remembered that Groovy lets you pass named parameters to a method and collects them all as a map.  This allows some nice syntactic sugar when creating an MVC group:
def map = buildMVCGroup('Diagram', 'diagram1', name: 'The Diagram', format: 'jpeg')


The other nifty thing is that Griffon automagically sets parameters passed when creating an MVC group to properties on the model (if applicable).  In the example above, if I had a name and a format properties on my model, they would be set to the values I passed instead of me having to explicitly set them in mvcGroupInit.


Destroying MVC Groups
While probably not critical, it's good practice to dispose of your MVC groups when you're done working with them.  You can do this by calling destroyMVCGroup with the id you passed when creating the group.  I find myself using many short-lived MVC groups.  To ensure I disposed of things properly, I whipped up a little method that simplifies things:
def withMVC(String type, String id, Map params, Closure closure) {
    closure(buildMVCGroup(params, type, id))
    destroyMVCGroup(id)
}
NOTE: you could do the same trick of moving the map to the first argument if you wanted to be able to pass 'loose' named parameters to the method.

You would call it in your code like so:
withMVC('NewSectionDialog', 'newSection', [ project: model.project ]) { mvc ->
    def section = mvc.controller.show()
    if (section) { model.projectSections << section }
}
This creates the MVC group, hands it to the closure you pass, and then destroys the group when done.

MVC groups are a nice feature of Griffon that let you create re-usable building blocks within your application.  Hopefully this tip helps you use them more effectively.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good tip!
I suggest maybe adding try/finally to withMVC to guarantee cleanup.