The result is the Core Gallery. It shows an animated whole core image next to a split core image. Since the images are too large to display on the screen, there's a slider that lets you see different parts of the core. The page also displays some additional information about the core.
The core slider is the most complicated part of the page. It uses the JQuery UI/Slider component. I used this screencast to help me acquaint myself with the slider. To achieve the highlighted core effect as the slider handle moves, I used two thumbnails of the core. One thumbnail is regular and one is washed out. I set the washed out thumbnail as a CSS background image on the slider element. I set the regular thumbnail as a CSS background image on the slider handle. The handle has a fixed size based on the height of the thumbnail vs. the height of the real core images so only part of the thumbnail is shown. From the slider's slide() callback, I simply update the CSS background-position property on the handle to ensure that handle's image is showing the same portion of the core as the underlying slider. I use this same technique to move the rotating whole core and split core images, taking the difference in image height between the thumbnail and the other core images into account.
Animated Whole Core Image
Split Core Image
I use the same technique as on the slider handle to make the image track the slider's position.
In the text description, it is possible to link to different parts of the core. This is a somewhat neat trick. To accomplish it, I wrap portions of the description text in span tags. Each span tag has an id attribute in the form of a ratio between 0.0 and 1.0. Using JQuery, I find these special span tags and add an onClick handler that updates the slider position based on the span's id attribute. So if the span had an id of 0.8, clicking on it would move the slider to the 80% position of the core. 0.0 takes you to the top and 1.0 takes you to the bottom.
Overall the Core Gallery turned out surprisingly well for being 100% browser-based. It took much less work than I originally envisioned thanks to JQuery. I'd definitely consider JQuery for future projects.